- If there is an explosion or other factor that makes it difficult to control the vehicle, pull over, stop the car and set the parking brake.
- If the emergency could impact the physical stability of the roadway, avoid overpasses, bridges, power lines, signs and other hazards.
- If a power line falls on your car you are at risk of electrical shock, stay inside until a trained person removes the wire.
- Listen to local radio (KFBK 1530 AM, KXJZ 88.9 FM or KSTE 650 AM) for further emergency information.
- Keep a vehicle safety kit consisting of a small first aid kit, water, flares, a blanket, flashlight...
- If you are in a car, drive away from flooded areas. Never try to drive through them. Even if vehicles in front of you have passed through the high water, you may not be so lucky.
- If your car stalls, immediately abandon it and climb to higher ground. If advised to evacuate, do so immediately. Follow recommended evacuation routes. Shortcuts may be blocked.
If you are driving, stop if it is safe, but stay inside your car away from bridges, overpasses, tunnels, trees, light poles, power lines and signs.
Also learn how to: