Attempting to respond to a disaster by yourself involves an incredible amount of work. You can plan to work together with your neighbors to help reduce the pressures and alleviate the impact disasters can impose in your community. When we all do a little, we can do a lot!
Here are some ways you can get started:
- Meet the neighbors. Exchange contact information and discuss how you can prepare for disasters that may occur in your area.
- Establish a neighborhood plan. Discuss the steps to take while waiting for help to arrive, and multiple evacuation routes out of your neighborhood.
- Discuss what you need. What equipment or supplies can you share in case of emergency (e.g. temporary shelter, power generator, transportation, communication devices, first aid)?
- Reveal your skills. Find out who among you has any medical and/or technical skills that may come in handy in an emergency.
- Assist those in need. Find out who has children, disabled or elderly, and pets in their home. Decide who will check on special needs neighbors in advance.