Summertime and it’s hot in Sacramento…
Temperatures rise during the summer months in Sacramento. Here are some simple tips to survive the summer and still enjoy the hot weather.
Ensure the safety of your loved ones and check on family members, friends, and neighbors during heat waves.
Drink lots of fluids - During the hot weather you’re more vulnerable to dehydration.
- Increase your intake of nonalcoholic fluids, regardless of your activity level and whether or not you are thirsty.
- Limit drinking fluids containing alcohol and caffeine.
- If you are on a fluid-restricted diet, consult your doctor before increasing the amount of fluid intake.
Eat light meals regularly, and avoid hot and heavy foods.
Wear sunscreen and dress appropriately.
- Apply sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher
- Wear light-colored, lightweight, loose-fitting attire
- Use a wide-brimmed hat to protect the face and head.
- Take cool showers or baths
- Limit exposure to the sun by staying indoors as much as possible, especially during the hottest hours of the day (3 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
- If you don’t have air conditioning at home, consider a trip to the mall, theaters, public libraries, or other public buildings.
- In serious heat emergencies, the City and County will open ‘cooling centers'.
Avoid activity in the hottest hours of the day